Category Archives: Oh Wow!
I recently had the pleasure of spending time with Carol Hose, a 1st grade teacher at Salem Avenue Elementary. Why is this important to me? Well because she’s my favorite teacher ever!
When I sit back and think about the type of child I was, it takes a special kind of person to deal with me and others like me. Mrs. Hose was the first to break through and reach me ( meaning teacher to student) and they way she reached me is through my love of music.
Mrs. Hose began teaching 1 year after I was born, and set to retire this year after teaching for 40 years. I was lucky enough to have had her as my 3rd grade teacher and it meant EVERYTHING!
Rarely I get the opportunity to go back and give thanks and to let a person know how they impacted my life so when I get the chance I do just that! Thank you Mrs. Hose for taking time out to see a child in need. Thank you for seeing and fostering the best in a me. Thank you for being more than just a teacher to the many children who passed through your class room who really needed you!
Things I remember about Mrs. Hose
- Her smile, it was always beautiful and bright (and still is)
- Her gentle but stern demeanor (I knew better than to cut up around her period) Standing outside during recess as I met with her, I felt like I was in 3rd grade again..I did really good being cautious of my street slang, and my sometimes potty mouth. [ I was so proud of myself 🙂 ]
- She made learning fun…she caught my attention by bringing main stream music into the class room. I did something great that day which allowed me to pick out a song to be played during our music time..I picked “Upside Down” by Diana Ross…I don’t know what I was more proud of, the fact that she let me pick the song or that she and the kids actually were dancing to it and enjoying it!
- Her hair… it was big and beautiful, she could give Farrah a run for her money when it came to her hair!
- Her tan, I’m not sure how she got that way, but it was always beautifully bronzed and her make up always complimented her
- Her fashion- her skirts and matching jackets were to die for, she was ALWAYS sharp…and her shoe game was awesome too! (she didn’t have on her heels but she was still elevated)
Things I didn’t know until recently about Mrs. Hose
- She actually had a life outside of Salem Avenue, she is married and has children and grandchildren 🙂
- She is in a band with her 2 sisters and she plays the drums and harmonizes ( hopefully I get to see them perform) they sing classic rock music and I absolutely ♥ it as that is my favorite genre
- She still uses music in her classroom